I was talking with a friend yesterday & we were talking about our husbands & kids with their different love languages. I found it helpful to remember to express love to others based on what is meaningful love to them and not just the kind of love that I like. With this in mind, I decided to do a brief summary of Gary Chapman’s love languages here that you might find helpful. We all have different ways in which we easily receive or feel that we are loved (we tend to give the kind of love that we want to receive). With this in mind, here are the love languages that Gary presents:
- gifts: the person with this love language likes to receive gifts & when someone gives them something, it is super powerful & meaningful to them
- quality time: the person with this love language likes to be with a person they love be that in quality conversation, activities (sports, hiking, shopping), etc
- acts of service: the person with this love language likes to do nice things for the people they love (run errands, clean, help with their kids, get fuel, etc)
- touch: the person with this love language likes to touch, snuggle, hold hands, . . .
- words of affirmation: the person with this love language likes to give / receive encouragement, affirmation, atta boy, etc
Clearly, this is nothing more than a brief summary, but hopefully it helps us to love with greater authenticity & with less manipulation 🙂