Over the last few weeks, I have had some interesting conversations with various friends about different ways to improve relationships One such way is by doing things together – so today, my husband & I are going to buy a dishwasher. Of course we have different ways of approaching this project, but the point is that we work together to get something that will be reliable & helpful to our family for a reasonable price. I’ll keep you posted on how this adventure turns out ,)
Some other ways to help a relationship grow include:
- trust: not only do we want to be able to trust the other person, but we, ourselves, must also be trustworthy
- forgiveness – the deeper the friendship, the greater the quantity & deeper the quality of forgiveness; shallow friendships can often reflect limited forgiveness
- time: listening, doing things together and other things / ways that require time
- sacrifice: preferring the other person’s desires & needs over our own is a good way to not only grow a relationship, but to also grow as an individual
- communication: honesty & diversity (through lots of different ways – written, non-verbal, dialogues, to name a few ideas)
- affirmation: looking for creative ways to say, “you is kind, you is wise & you is important” is always important to grow relationships
- common purpose: it’s important to understand that different relationships have different purposes (friendships can be for a reason, a season but only a few are for a lifetime)
Ultimately, I see my relationships as a means to express genuine love – letting God love through me. This is the goal in which I want to always be improving.
I was having coffee w a friend the other day & this lady walked into the coffee shop w some very loud shoes – her shoes were the 1st thing to catch anyone’s attention. Right away my friend commended to this lady on her super cool shoes, encouraging her that she looked cool wearing those shoes. I was really proud of my friend for being so encouraging & made a mental note to myself that I want to be that way, even if something isn’t my personal style or preference.
Here’s my line of thinking: our planet needs some encouragement because it seems to me that we are living in a time when there’s a fair amount of negativity. With this in mind, a great way to counter-act any general negativity is to be encouraging to people & even creatively encouraging. So here are just a few ideas you might consider & please feel free to leave more suggestions so we can all help each other 🙂
- consider telling a co-worker that you think they’re an incredible person, without the intent of trying to get something from them ,)
- wave & smile at your neighbor when you drive by them
- look at the cashier & ask them if they’re having a nice day, with sincere interest
- send a kind email to someone & thank them for who they are as a person (consider telling them what characteristic you like the most about them)
- tell your mate that you think they’re great
- let a friend, neighbor or co-worker know that you appreciate them with a quick text message
- drop a note in the mail (snail mail) to let someone know that they are special to you
Those are just a few ideas, but the principle of being encouraging is super powerful, even though it may seem rather small 🙂
What are some more ideas that you would suggest?