Today is my kids’ 1st day back to school so we all have those 1st school day jitters – nervous about new teachers, classmates, new subjects, what’s the school year going to be like, being accepted, friends etc. As their mom, I find myself also a bit nervous & jittery. So we all get to explore what it means to trust God with our unique jitters with their stuff as well as mine – decisions, future direction, www.savingmoses.org . For myself, I find that receiving Jesus’ peace is wrapped in the same decision as rejecting anxiety. When I try to fight anxiety, for me it only seems to get bigger when I don’t simultaneously receive Jesus’ peace to guard my heart & mind. So I’m accepting Jesus’ peace & keeping the anxious thoughts outside to wither in the glorious light & truth of the Holy Spirit 🙂
I know that many of you don’t need any help with dealing with stress. In fact, you may be a person who is completely immunized from anything stressful so you might find these ideas to be boring. If, however, you find yourself struggling with stress from time to time, these are some things that have helped me of late:
- if I get jittery about the future, it’s really helped me to re-adjust my focus to keep it on Jesus, being confident that when I get to the future, Jesus will be there. More importantly, I can be with Jesus now in this moment
- provision challenges: sometimes God’s provisions come on a day-to-day basis. With this in mind, I can trust that He is giving me what I need for this day and even this moment
- while this may sound cheesy, it’s really helped me alot lately to praise & worship God just on my own without music or even a specific song but just singing my own songs and words that are from my heart
- finally, the other day I was up really early & really stressed out; I read an email about a friend who is going through a REALLY DIFFICULT time. Reading about her hardship made me instantly want to pray for her – taking my mind off of me
I believe that God has huge help available for us, even in stressful times ,)
Charades is a fun game to act out lots of different things. If you’ve played this game in a group, you know that you’re supposed to act something out & help your team guess your word(s) based on your acting. This game can be lots of fun, but unfortunately, I think we play this game in our life, from time to time. Here are a few examples:
- Sometimes I think we pretend to be humble, when the reality is that we’re merely insecure.
- Sometimes I think we pretend to be confident when the reality is that we’re arrogant
- Sometimes I think we pretend to be peaceful when the reality is that we’re apathetic
- Sometimes I think we pretend to be strong when the reality is that we’re scared
There are lots of things that can be stress-ers in our world – dr reports, kids, traffic, news reports, relationships, finances, job situations, school deadlines, health struggles, to name a few. In our world, there’s no shortage of a stress supply. On the flip side, I think we should consider that possibly there’s a shortage of peace & serenity. I also think that genuine peace is not normally found in the external world with all of the news reports, traffic, school deadlines, etc. I believe that genuine peace is a gift from Jesus & that it is best experienced through our relationship with Him. In John 14, He tells us that He’s giving us His peace & it’s been my experience that when I snuggle in with Jesus that His peace immunizes me from the stresses all around me. It’s not so much that I’m oblivious to what’s going on around me as much as His peace inside me has more gravity & strength than the external stresses. May your day be filled with Jesus’ peace 🙂
The last few days have been kind of a whirlwind – traveling to a few cities, lots of driving for end of the season swim parties, ministry opportunities, car challenges, etc. Sometimes when we are in those super busy seasons, it can feel like we’re running on fumes. If we’re not careful, we can get impatient, sharp & dismissive.
It is particularly helpful in these seasons to do our best to keep our eyes on God and we can do this in many different ways:
- good worship tunes
- reviewing Bible verses that have been helpful
- talking with a friend about God
- endeavor to find some quiet from time to time
Ok, here’s some transparency – I’m kind of stressed at this moment. There are alot of moving parts in my life right now & it seems that whatever topic that I focus on leaves me stressed. I know that there are seasons of pressure times in life & we all get to learn to manage through those seasons with hopefully few, if any, casualties.
Nevertheless, the last few days & evenings have had some intensely stressful moments, but here’s also some encouragement: this morning in my quiet time, as I’m doing my normal Bible reading routine, the verses I read in the NT were about Jesus calming the storm (when He had been sleeping while everyone else was freaking out). Furthermore, I read Ps 94:19, “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.” Finally, the verses I’m memorizing in John start with Jesus saying, “Do not let your hearts be troubled – you believe in God, believe also in Me.”
So here’s my take aways that you might also find useful:
- I can have peace in my heart as I fellowship with Jesus regardless of the storms occuring around me
- When I bring Jesus into the storms of my life, He brings peace
- There are times that Jesus wants to work through me to bring peace to stormy situations – blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God (Matt 5)
May the peace of Jesus guard your heart and mind today, my friend
Well, saving Moses is now working in Asia & I can’t say how cool that is to me. Looking back over the last week has been simply astounding. I’ve experienced poverty that is nothing less than sub-human. I’ve experienced cold realities & warm delusions. I’ve seen God do the miraculous & questioned His seeming lack of involvement. As I come home today I find myself deeply fulfilled & equally unsettled – an interesting paradox. Lots to do for Jesus & to express my live to Him by helping others.
Thx heaps for praying!!